Sunday, May 30, 2010

Where to begin







So the plan for this tan receptionist transportation is emphatically simple but needlessly OCD.


Most of my effort will go into the suspension and maintenance to let it drive to and from events without issue while still being friendly enough to drive around the city and reliable enough to take cross country, so in a very uncharacteristic move, I'm going to leave the damn thing alone.


Obviously it needs to be converted to manual, it needs new dampeners, springs and bushings as well as a step up to the better designed M car suspension hard parts, but after that the next upgrade will be to the monkey behind the wheel.


First however is the business of cleaning out 20 years worth of commuting, spilled drinks and mystery stains from the interior. 


 Today I unbolted the seats to get a good look at everything inside, attempted to fix the steering wheel cover and tried to pull up the carpet.


 You'll notice there was not a lot of success in those tasks because it turns out BMW employees get paid by how many fasteners they install on the interior. Just to remove the carpet alone I needed 247 different screw driver sizes and shapes, and the steering wheel was held in place by the flying monkeys from the wizard of oz, so I had to distract them with a small poodle before I could attempt to remove the wheel, and when I did the horn got stuck on causing them to return.




Eventually I did get it off only to find that the horn was shorting against the middle bit and the only reason it wasn't making noise all the time was because of a single piece of electrical tape that I knocked free in my attempt to make it better.


 Everything did eventually come out, just in time for it to start raining so I could put it back in.




Maybe next week will get off to a better pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment