Saturday, August 14, 2010

Add less to make it more.




Now that the car can move under its own power and I have had some time to explore it I have realized a few things.

 Weight. 
 This car is much heavier than needs be - take the sound deadening. By spending an afternoon removing everything behind the driver (it is surprisingly intuitive to remove parts from the inside of this car) I was able to shed 151 lbs. This was enough to bring the car until 3000 lbs weight as measured by a truck scale (same scaled was used before/after) 

 The biggest shock however was the sound deadening. 60 lbs! It took two garbage bags to contain it all, and I didn't even take out the tar paper like stuff that is glued down! This was just removable mats! 

 Grip.
  It has it.  This car is capable of holding on far past where I can. I desperately need a seat and a proper belt because as it is I am pressed against the door on right turns, and I can't even take lefts violently because I'll end up half wedged between the two seats. The Ventus RS-3 tires are mind-bogglingly good for the price, and have ever been wearing very well. I am shocked these are not an R-Compound tire. They don't have the most solid turn in response but I suspect that is more related to mounting these "225" (they're actually much larger) sections on a 7 inch wide wheel, and having them round the edges a bit. If I could put these on a 9 Inch wheel I suspect the car would feel many times better on turn in. 

 Automatics suck.
 I can't take this automatic shit. How do people do this? I am getting more anxious for those manual parts to materialize. I finally found a source for some of them, so hopefully it happens soon!

 Depreciation is the friend of the working class racer
 This car sold for 31,327$ (US) when new, in 1992. With inflation that is just under 49,000$ for this car.
 I bought it for less than the tax that was paid when it was new.

  Reliability
 I spend most of my time pushing this cars limits. So far, all it has done is suggested gently that I replace a few light bulbs and perhaps figure out why it's a bit rich sometimes. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment