Friday, May 30, 2014

Hate Love





I have a problem. That problem is a 2013 Ford Mustang GT.

Hang on, lets back up a bit. 

My actually my problem is that I was raised by, steeped in and idolized objective thinkers. I grew up reading the words of Dave Coleman, Sherlock Holmes, Mike Kojima,  Carol Shelby. Realists who had very little time for bullshit. I was taught to believe that with enough consideration, resources and talent you could build the perfect machine. A car that was powerful enough to make you giggle but balance enough to be usable. Had enough grip to hurt your sides but could navigate rutted ice covered roads without upsetting the occupants. Had cargo room to do the shopping trip, the hardware store trips and the road trip, but was light enough and low enough to be easy on tires, brakes and gasoline. It would be eye catching and soul stiring. A car your friends would want to borrow, your girlfriend would want to steal and your boss would be happy you owned. Mechanics would enjoy working on it, your mother would be happy with its ride quality and your father would be proud of its legacy. Reliable, cheap, exciting, simple, engaging, fun and unique. 

 For nearly 2 decades I have been on a tireless hunt for that car and time and time again I feel i've found it only to have the realities of every day use sink in and find flaws in every machine to date. Now that you understand where i'm coming from let me talk about my wonderful, enjoyable, fast, exciting, practical, disappointing, wallowing, slow, unresponsive, lively, well equipped, cheap feeling, expensive sounding 2013 Ford Mustang GT. I love the engine. I love the seats, I love the torque. I love the grip, the balance, the navigation and the air conditioning. I don't love the steering wheel, the shifter,the stupid rear overhang/big fat ass, the gross weight and the steering feel. I hate the touchy and inconsistent throttle, and the live rear axle (caveat: It's great for performance, considering. It's just bumpy and awkward and uncomfortable on any road that is not as well maintained as a golf course)

I like the automatic headlights and the user programmable ambient lighting and the large selection of auxiliary gauges and the track apps and the many USB charging points. 

I love the leather swaddled Recaro seats and the elegant (context... it's a mustang) daytime running lamps and the lovely (if a bit flashy) LED tail lamps. 

I love the optional Brembo brakes but I hate that without them the car would be unable to stop into its own way.

I like the grip of the optional Pirellis in the dry, hot summer and I hate them in the wet cold slimy grey nothingness that the pacific northwest is famous for. 

I like the grip of the rear diff out of the hole but I don't like the snappy catching it gives around corners.

I love this car, and I hate this car.

It seems like the closer to the perfect objective automotive ideal that I get, the more disappointed I feel when it eventually fails to meet that stupid misguided ideal of the perfect car. 

However, the real love/hate relationship I have with this car and with every car is simple. Our love of cars is emotional, but our standards for them are pure rationality. It's like trying to pick out a refrigerator for the way the shelving 'feels'. We're all misguided idiots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment